Sunday, 25 August 2013

Shenzhen: Parasols

I had been exploring the East, with it's heavy humid days, for the past few days and had arrived at the height of typhoon season. 
These tropical cyclones typically start in the South China Sea or Pacific Ocean, making the city of Shenzhen an ideal location for it to unleash all of its fury. This, of course, I had only found out after arriving in China. In high-devastation, typhoon-prone weather.


Shenzhen, China


Ominous Clouds


Then again, back in 2006, I had basically learned upon boarding the plane to Oklahoma, that tornadoes tend to frequent the Sooner state. So I was just going to have to hope for the best this time round too. And pack an umbrella, just in case.


Tornado Shelter in Oklahoma


I soon realised that a Chinese women's parasol was to her like a braaitang to a South African boerseun: Home is not left without it. Especially not when a hot and sunny day awaited.
Every morning, a kaleidoscope of colourful parasols lined up by the side of the road, floated to work, or assembled on park benches.


Pretty Parasols



Sunshine Day


Parasol stands are found outside every office or restaurant; including a lock and key to secure these prized possessions.


Parasol Stand


So far, the rain and wind have stayed away from Shenzhen, but it doesn't mean that my umbrella was not put to good use. In true Chinese fashion I have used it to ward off the gleaming sunlight everywhere I went. Had I not done so, I would have surely melted, disintegrated or evaporated from the heat.

Thank you, China, for learning me to put my umbrella to good use. And thereby protecting me, if not from a typhoon, from the sun at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment