Wednesday, 25 March 2020

Netherlands: Cycling

"You are becoming Dutch!"
The reply of a colleague when I told him about our new means of transportation:



However, I believe you can only claim the title of being Dutch once you can balance the following on your bicycle - and do it with a smile and without breaking a sweat:



(Pictures from Stuff Dutch People Like)

We are still allowed to leave our houses in the Netherlands because "een frisse neus halen kan" (you are still allowed to get a breath of fresh air). Therefore my husband and toddler go for a cycle most weekday mornings while I work from home. They return with stories of beautiful views and interesting sightings (my husband) and tales of freezing fingers and disappearing "padkos" (my toddler). Food, which of course, we never packed in the first place out of fear of corona contamination.

Dedicated cycling routes cover the whole country and, as a bonus, the Netherlands is (mostly) flat! You therefore have numerous, safe cycling options to explore every nook and cranny of this country - and neighbouring countries too. There are so many websites where you can plan or follow a pre-planned cycling routes: Route.nlFietsersbond RoeteplannerNederland Fietsland, and Bikemap, just to name a few.



Now that the days are getting longer and sunnier (the sun is already setting noticeably later than 3 weeks ago when we arrived), and cycling routes and quaint neighbouring towns are beckoning, the following words are quite apt in light of our current quarantined state and Daylight Saving Time starting this weekend:


(This weekend the clock moves forward. I don't know exactly by how much, but I hope by two months). 
Food for thought: Either my translation skills are not adequate, or this is simply funnier in Dutch :) 
Am I starting to understand Dutch jokes?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment